Thursday, November 26, 2009

Is is hard to make friends at Boston?

I am from VA. I find it hard to read people in Boston. But then again, I spend most of my time in the laboratory at a very good University. Can other tell me their experience with people at Boston? They seem to be less nice. At retail stores the Sales Associate don't walk up to you and greet you. Feels like when you go talk to people they acted like they are doing you a favor by talking with you. What is the best way to make friends there? In general I feel very self-conscious there. Where I am from I get the feeling that I am very well-liked (and attractive) even when I walk on the street. Boston girls seemed more competitive and catty. At Va I can go to a Salon and strike up a conversation. At Boston, the hair dresser got passive aggressive w/ me. I consider myself an attractive Asian with curly hair and good built. I find white girls at Va have no problem being my friend..and I fit into the frat scene easily. But I sense white girls at Boston are threatened by me.



Is is hard to make friends at Boston?

I'm from Boston and I think Bostonians are frozen, just like most New Englanders - especially compared to Southerners and Westerners. They are also less casual, more hurried, stand more on formalities, and are much less flirtatious. It took me about 30 years to adjust.



Go to a Unitarian Universalist church. People there are very friendly and supportive, and you can be an atheist and still feel right at home.



Musicians are also different. Start hanging out with musicians and artists. Pagans are very friendly and cuddly too. Good luck!



Is is hard to make friends at Boston?

no harder than making friends in VA!! As you have found, people in the north are not as openly friendly to strangers. But they also don't tend to smile sweetly, say "y'all come back, ya hear" and talk about you the minute you leave. Don't get me wrong...I love the south. I've chosen to live here for many years BUT I appreciate the frank



honesty northerners will give you.



Thought you moved to ATL???

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting talk